How to cut your mortgage costs
Whatever type of mortgage you choose, try to pay it down as quickly as possible. That way, you'll pay less interest and cut your mortgage costs.
When you apply for a mortgage
- Make the largest down payment you can.
- Pick the shortest amortization period you can afford.
- Pick an accelerated bi-weekly payment option. This works out to 13 monthly payments each year.
- Shop around for the best deal you can get.
3 ways to pay down your mortgage more quickly
- Increase the amount of your payments.
- Make a lump-sum payment each year (prepayment) in addition to your regular payments. For example, apply any tax refund or bonus to your mortgage.
- Keep your payment the same if you renew at a lower interest rate.
Use this calculator to figure out how much money and how many years you can save by making prepayments.
Only choose the special features you need, like:
- Mortgage insurance – Covers your mortgage payments if you lose your job.
- Portability – Carry your mortgage with you when you sell your home and buy another one.
- Prepayment options – Make extra lump sum payments.
- An assumable mortgage – The buyer of your home can take over your mortgage.
Don’t just compare rates and features when you go mortgage shopping. Also consider penalties and fees. For example, look at mortgage prepayment penalties. Lenders must calculate and disclose these in a standardized way.