Finding a place to rent
Finding the right place can take time and effort. Start by figuring out how much rent you can afford to pay every month.
4 steps to finding a place to rent
1. Figure out your priorities
- How much rent can you afford?
- Where do you want to live?
- Will you need access to public transit?
- Will you have roommates?
- How many bedrooms and bathrooms?
- Do you need other amenities?
- Furnished or unfurnished?
- How long do you plan to live there?
2. Browse ads
Look at a variety of rental ads in local newspapers. Or search online at Viewit.ca, Apartmentscanada.com or Craigslist. You can also check out average rents in Ontario.
3. Go to viewings
Do your own inspections. Ask these questions:
- Is it safe? Is the fire escape accessible? Are locks on the door and windows secure? Is the neighbourhood safe?
- Is it in a good location? How far is it from public transit and parking? Is it on a busy street? What businesses and services are nearby?
- Is everything working? Do all the appliances work? Does the plumbing, heat and air conditioning work? Are the hot and cold water working? Does the water run clear and taste OK? Will the apartment be cleaned before you move in?
4. Choose the best option
Choose the apartment or house that fits your budget and best meets your priorities.