Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Print Print
Text Size A A A

What plans help me if I get hurt or sick and can't work?

If you get sick or hurt and can’t work, you might be able get help from some of these workplace and government plans: 

  1. Sick pay: Most full-time workers earn sick days. For example, you may get one sick day for every full month you work. Then, when you need time off because of illness, you use your sick days to keep your income going.
  2. Short-term and long-term disability: If you use up all your sick days and still can’t return to work, you may get help from a short-term or long-term disability plan at work. A short-term disability plan could replace up to 100% of your income for a certain number of days. After that, if you have a long-term disability plan, it will combine with government plans to replace about two-thirds of your normal income.
  3. Employee benefit plans: This includes health plans, dental plans, or insurance at work. These plans may continue while you are hurt or sick.
  4. Workers’ Safety Insurance (Workers’ Compensation): This plan helps you if you can’t work because of an accident or an illness related to work. Rules vary from province to province. To find out more about this plan in Ontario, visit Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) Benefits.
  5. Pension plan at work: If you have a long-term disability, you may also be able to get money from your workplace pension plan. For example, your employer may allow you to withdraw funds from a Group Registered Retirement Savings Plan (Group RRSP). Even if you cannot withdraw any of those funds now, as long as you get disability pay, your employer will keep putting money into your pension, until you retire.
  6. Canada Pension Plan and Quebec Pension Plan (CPP/QPP): If you are under age 65, you may get long-term disability pay from these plans. The amount you get depends on what you paid into the plan while you were working. Once you reach age 65, your disability benefits stop, and you start to get your CPP/QPP pension. Learn more about CPP disability benefits at the federal Department of Human Resources and Social Development CPP Disability – Summary.