If you disagree with your tax assessment

Making an objection

  1. Call the CRA – You’ll find the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) phone number on your notice of assessment. You’ll need to address the miscommunication or mistake and provide any further information needed to clear things up.
  2. File an objection – If you’re not satisfied after speaking with the CRA, file an objection (T400A). This is a formal dispute. You have to give the reasons for the dispute and present the relevant facts and documents.
  3. Appeal to the TaxTax A fee the government charges on income, property, and sales. The money goes to finance government programs and other costs.+ read full definition Court of Canada – If you disagree with the CRA’s ruling on your objection, you can appeal to the Tax Court of Canada.

Consider hiring a tax professional to help you with filing a notice of objection or appealing to the Tax Court of Canada.

Know your rights

The Taxpayer Bill of Rights entitles you to be treated with a high degree of accuracy, professionalism, courteousness and fairness. If you’re not satisfied with the service you receive, you can complain to the CRA complaints department and ultimately to the Taxpayers’ Ombudsman.

Take action

  1. Call the CRA
  2. File an objection
  3. Appeal to the Tax Court of Canada
Last updated